Dr. Matthew Welsh
I began my professional career as a lawyer. Studying and practicing in the field of law helped me develop critical thinking skills and an understanding of how to navigate the practical challenges of life. However, working as a lawyer made me realize I wanted to help people on a more personal, emotional, and psychological level so they could be effective before they need a lawyer. So, at the age of 29, I quit my job as a family law attorney and went back to school to get a Ph.D. in Psychology. I now work as a psychologist licensed in Illinois and Kansas and as a life coach. As a lifetime student, I am dedicated to learning. I want to learn more about you and help you get to where you want to be.
I want to learn what is in your heart, mind, soul, and emotions and help you express those parts of yourself in a meaningful and real way. I understand the stress of working in a high pressure career and difficulty of finding authentic fulfillment and self-expression. When I worked as a lawyer, I questioned why I experienced confusion and anxiety.
So, now I am committed to helping others overcome obstacles related to work stress, relationship problems and career changes. I also work as a clinical psychologist at a Veteran Affairs hospital providing psychotherapy to Veterans. I can use this experience to help you with any trauma, PTSD, anger, depression, anxiety, or drug and alcohol problems.
In the 4 minute video clip below, Dr. Welsh speaks to Dana Lord Lewis, founder of Energy Think, about his transition from an unhappy lawyer to a clinical psychologist.
Other services I provide include:
– Find a career that is aligned with your values, interests, strengths, or deepest desires.
– Better understand your personality characteristics so you can find a compatible romantic partner.
– Enhance the quality of current relationships by improving conflict management skills, communicating your wants and needs more effectively, establishing better boundaries, or work through any possible codependency issues.
– Better manage practical challenges and difficult transitions in life (divorce, job loss, or death of a loved one) so that you can move through them with greater ease, purpose, and strength.
– Overcome mental blocks that may be inhibiting your creative ability to publish a book, build a website, or become a writer
I offer counseling and life coaching sessions via Skype, Zoom, or telephone. I charge $250 for an hour long session. I also offer a free 15 minute consultation. To schedule your initial counseling or life coaching session or free 15 minute consultation, please send an email to , or call me at (847) 316-0218. For clients living in Illinois or Kansas, I can give you a receipt or “superbill” that you can submit to your insurance company for reimbursement. Please email me with any questions.
Subscribe to my Online Newsletter
My newsletter contains articles emailed directly to you on topics related to how you can apply principles of psychology in a practical way to your life. Sign up and receive an article today on 10 practical tips to finding and living your calling.